Thursday, May 14, 2015

A Summer of Service

Mid May brings thoughts of an upcoming summer. Since I retired full-time nearly one year ago, my summer came earlier this year! My part-time teaching responsibilities at both the community college and university ended late last week. That's given me some time to reflect and do some organizing and reorganizing. It's also given me the time to catch up on some e-mails. One was from the Flight 93 Memorial. They are getting ready for what will surely be another busy summer in Shanksville. There was also included an invite to train as a Memorial Plaza Greeter. I had been trained in 2013 and spent parts of a Saturday and a Sunday at the Plaza. It was a very rewarding experience. It seemed nearly every visitor to the site wanted to talk-both before they walked to the Wall and upon their return. I was reminded again that weekend what service is as I realized I gained more than I gave. Last summer I sadly was not able to commit to a weekend or week days to volunteer. My calendar looks better this summer and there's more excitement. A Memorial Plaza Greeter is soon to be renamed a Greeter. As of September 10th my training will allow me to be part of the Visitor Center and all that goes with the exciting newest phase at the Flight 93 Memorial. Go to the Memorial's website at http://www.honorflight93.org/memorial/ to check out photos and videos of the ongoing, soon-to-be-completed construction of both The Visitor Center and The Learning Center. The bridge that connects these two buildings to the Memorial is completed. As an educator I am excited about the possibilities the future holds for events and educational opportunities to occur here. As a volunteer I am excited to learn more-to be able to share more with future visitors to the site. As an American and a traveler and a person who has visited the site over a dozen times I am excited about another way to honor the memory of the actions of 40 very brave individuals on September 11, 2001.

No comments:

Post a Comment