Monday, January 6, 2014

Requiem Images of Ground Zero

January 6, 2014. 5 months until I graduate. That's what my wife has become calling it-my last day of full-time teaching. It started because two of my daughters also graduate this year-one in May from college and another in June from high school. Like most of northeast Ohio, my school district is closed today and also will be tomorrow. This time off has allowed my brain the chance to relax and reflect about my life after graduation. Time to read more, time to spend more time in service to others such as at The Flight 93 Memorial in Shanksville, PA. Time to travel such as to visit my oldest daughter in Boston and on the way-New York City. In my most recent blog I mentioned the opening of the much anticipated 9/11 Museum, but today I would like to tell you about another museum that is already open. It began when my department head gave me a book to look at over break. Its title is above and its author is Gary Marlon Suson. Through one of those serendipitous experiences that life tosses our way (my friend Alison Crowther tells me these may not be as coincidental as we think they are)Gary became the Official Photographer at Ground Zero for the Uniformed Firefighters Association. This happened in the days after 9/11 and his book is full of emotional photographs and his personal reflections and anecdotes behind these spellbinding images. Many of the photos are from The Hole. Many show remains of firefighters being removed and the honor processions that always accompanied those somber occasions. There are also images from St. Paul's Chapel which I have blogged about previously. It became a safe haven for thousands of rescue workers. Gary's work did not end when The Hole was closed in the spring of 2002. He operates The Ground Zero Museum Workshop-Images and Artifacts from the Recovery. The museum is located in Manhattan's Meat-Packing District at 420 West 14th Street and 9th Avenue. Check out his website at www.GroundZeroMuseum.com Hopefully retirement will bring me the opportunity for more volunteering at places like the Flight 93 Memorial, more reading, and more travel to places like New York City where I can visit and spend quality time at museums like this one. On your next visit to NYC consider this as part of your itinerary. You can get tickets at 212-209-3370. Hopefully graduation will also allow me the freedom to blog more often. This blog came about after my local newspaper The News Herald wrote some articles about our school's (Chardon Middle School)efforts to raise money when we visited the site every year on our trip to Hershey, PA. In the future I would like to expand this blog as I have in this post to other 9/11 related sites and information.

1 comment:

  1. Would you conisder posting this? The honor is long overude.

    https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/award-presidential-medal-freedom-passengers-and-crew-united-airlines-flight-93/RSMNNB6J

    ReplyDelete