Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Closure

Usually on these pages I blog about Flight 93 and 9/11. Today marks the one year anniversary of the shootings that took the lives of three young men at Chardon High School. February 27th 2012 is a day none of us who work for the Chardon Schools will ever forget. Last night a concert was held at St. Mary's Church featuring the Chardon High School band and choir. The concert was healing and uplifting. Yesterday the shooter T. J. Lane pled guilty to several charges. Many news and media stories of the events mentioned closure, especially for the families. Not long after Osama bin Laden was killed I was interviewed by the News Herald on what that event meant to me. One of the things I said that day was that bin Laden's death brought some closure to the families. That same evening I was watching the national news and one of the 9/11 widows who has worked very hard on getting the 9/11 Memorial at the World Trade Center built, said there is never closure. I learned that day to be careful what to say when interviewed. I was wrong. There is never closure for those families-both the 9/11 families and the Parmetor's, Hewlin's, and King's. Nor is there a new normal which some in the media have tried to attach to this tragedy. There is healing though and yesterday's hearing, last night's concert, and today's events helped.

No comments:

Post a Comment